Pickled Vegetable Salad:
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 4 medium radishes cut into thin sticks
- 8 snap peas cut in thin slices
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped mint
Combine all ingredients in medium size mixing bowl. Make dressing and add to the vegetables refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. The longer the vegetables have to marinate, the better the flavor.
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai red chili sliced in thin rings (if you like spicy add more)
- 3 tbs lime juice
- 3 tbs rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
Whisk all ingredients together in small bowl.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts cut in half horizontally (will give you 4 thin breasts)
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 bulbs lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 1 inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
In small bowl mix the marinade ingredients. Pour over the chicken and let marinate for at least 1 hour. You can grill the chicken or use an indoor grill pan. After the chicken is grilled, slice into thin pieces.
Crisp rice paper bowls:
- 6 to 8 (8-inch) round rice paper
- oil for frying
Heat a skillet with 1 inch of oil over moderate heat. The oil is hot enough when bubbles form around a wooden chopstick or the end of a wooden spoon inserted in the oil. Gently drop a rice paper wedge into the oil and fry until crisp, 1-2 seconds.
Remove with a slotted spoon or strainer and drain on paper towels. Repeat for remaining rice paper. The paper will turn white and the edges will curl to form a bowl.
To serve, have your guests place a piece of butter bibb lettuce on a rice paper bowl, top with pickled vegetables then add a few pieces of the thinly sliced chicken. You may garnish with extra peanuts and herbs.
To make rice paper chips, cut the paper in four equal pieces and fry. You can serve the pickled vegetables alongside for dipping: a healthy and gluten free version of chips and salsa for summer.